12.20.2010

Adjusting the Picture Clarity

Matthew 14:29-31 "He said, "Come." So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus.  But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, "Lord, save me." Jesus immediately reached out His hand and took hold of him, saying to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?"

I was pondering this passage today seeking some purpose for a challenge I am currently facing.  My husband and I are pursuing the adoption of 1-2 children from Colombia.  We have been on a waiting list for 2 years and recently it came about that our paperwork is being put on hold because of what normally would be an easy and simple step which has turned into 6 months of difficulty and some frustration.  The pursuit of adopting children is a good thing!  Choosing to be a parent is a good thing!  Why does it then seem that God is allowing it to be so difficult?
This passage stood out to me because of the situation where Peter's faith is being tested.  Peter became distracted from his obedience to follow Christ by his personal concern for his circumstances. He did not want to sink!  Applying this to my situation, one could say that my obedience to Christ might be distracted obedience as the progress of our adoption is regularly on my mind.  How do I not become angry or discouraged by my circumstances?
As Christians, many times we want to walk on the water - we want to have strong faith, but we don't keep our focus on Christ to pave the way for that kind of living.  We say we want to have bold or brave faith but we chose to place our focus on whatever we want to.  Perseverance, patience and endurance are needed!
Hebrews 12:1 "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us."

In an effort to gain further understanding I did a word study on the following two Greek words.  Longsuffering and endurance are sometimes used as translations of the English word patience.


1) Makrothumia - makros means "long" and thumos means "temper".  This gives us the word longsuffering. Part of Strong's definition of this word includes; the ability to endure persecution and ill-treament.  Someone who has the power to exercise  revenge but instead exercises restraint.


2) Hupomone - hupo means "under" and mone means "to remain".  This gives us the word endurance.  Part of Strong's definition of this word includes; the capacity to continue to bear up under difficult circumstances, not with passive complacency, but with hopeful fortitude that actively resists weariness and defeat.


What I learned from this word study and the Matthew 14 passage is that my vision at times is blurry and I need to adjust the focus and picture clarity of the lenses that I am looking through.  It can be easy to look at your life or your job or the world around you and feel frustration at what you see and do not understand.  However, asking God to bring clarity to your vision will help you see your situation differently.  What I now see is an opportunity to trust God through the challenges that my husband and I are facing through our adoption journey.  It is an opportunity to place my focus intentionally on God and allow Him to carry my worries and concerns.  By handing my concerns and frustrations over to Christ I am acknowledging His control over my life.  With some picture clarity I now see so much more around me and Christ becomes enlarged in my life.  Although our pursuit of adoption and becoming parents is a big deal to my husband and I, Christ and my obedience to Him is a bigger deal.  The more I look at Christ, the smaller my problems seem.  Looking at the definition of Makrothumia, it clarified for me that what I am enduring could be much worse, so I can be thankful that it is not as bad as it could be!  The word Hupomone has taught me that I am not to "give up" and do nothing about our paperwork situation, but that I am to remain consistently hopeful that things will work out and understand that if I am doing what I can on my part, I need to trust God with the rest and rejoice that the result will be what He has planned for me!
James 1:2-4 "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.  And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."


With picture clarity I can experience internal joy when my focus is on Christ and I am being obedient to His plan and timing for my life!

CHALLENGE:
Is there anything that is causing fear or worry in your life right now?
What does the word Longsuffering mean to you?
What is holding your focus right now - something of this world or a heavenly focus?
Take some time to tell God what you answered above and why.

No comments:

Post a Comment